Mandalas are said to represent the cosmos and have been used in meditation for thousands of years – many say that mandalas help promote balance and well being.
To create these cosmic mandala pendants you will need the following:
12 x Amos Beads
18 x SuperDuos
Seed Beads in sizes 15/0 and 11/0
Microfibre Suede to hang your pendant
Fireline and size 12 beading needle
1. Begin by threading your needle with approx 1 meter of Fireline thread and pick up the following beads: 15, Amos, 15, Amos, 15, Amos, 15, Amos, 15, Amos, 15, Amos
2. Now bring the beads around and knot the tail of thread to your working thread – tie several knots to secure the circle, pull the knot inside the next few beads.
3. Step up through the empty hole of an Amos bead and pick up another Amos, go around the circle adding in another Amos bead:
4. Now step up through the empty hole in this round of Amos beads:
5. Pick up 3 SuperDuos and stitch through the next Amos bead – repeat around the whole circle:
6. Stitch through the next Amos, SuperDuo and add in an 11/0, stitch through the next SuperDuo and add in another 11/0
7. Exiting from the last SuperDuo in the set of 3 pick up 6 15/0 and stitch through the next SuperDuo
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 around the circle
9. Stitch through the next SuperDuo and 3 15/0 and pick up another 15/0, stitch through the next 3 15/0, SuperDuo and 11/0
10. Pick up 2 15/0, 1 11/0 and 2 15/0 and stitch through the next 11/0, SuperDuo, and 3 15/0
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 around the circle
12. Now you’re ready to attach your mandala to the ring to create the pendant – this will stretch the piece out and fix any issues with buckling that you might be finding
13. Put the mandala inside the ring and exit from an 11/0 that sits on top of a middle SuperDuo, take your thread under the ring and back through the same 11/0
14. Stitch through the next 3 15/0, SuperDuo, 4 15/0 and pick up 2 15/0.
15. Pass your needle under the ring and back through the 2 15/0 you just added before stitching back through the 15/0 you exited in step 14
Repeat steps 13 – 15 around the circle and finish off your thread.
You can attach your finished mandala to a chain using a jump ring, or simply thread it onto a long length of microfibre suede